Outcry for DHB Bundesliga

When I was littlle we often got told that the handball games would be on ZDF but in the family we never got to learn German. English or Spanish-speaking channels were our main priority.
I do not think she knows it but I could have told her. It is thanks to TVE's saturday afternoon matches - moments before my own club matches - that I could see a lot of handball. Outside of the moments when France were playing. Pathe Sports and Canal Plus were the main broadcasters at the time. In order to become part of the so-called 'Mondial A' elite.

Two years ago EHF TV managed to provide on a weekly basis several matches DHB Bundesliga matches live. There was no commentary whatsoever. My guess is that the audience was so low that they got told that they could not afford to provide it anymore. I do not know whether it would be the case and I should have asked discreetly this question to the well respected journalists (I revered) last month ; Sky Deustchland and BeIn Sports Germany GmbH must have won the tender at a hefty price?

In fact I never saw a handball league match in Germany and this is something (still) on my list to do. In this wintery period I wear a hat, that of THW Kiel. This hat has travelled a lot.

I am really fond of the atmosphere I experienced at the Sparkassen Arena when Kiel played BM Madrid (formerly / late Ciudad Real). Dominik Klein and Nikola Karabatic played together at Kiel. Having checked the asssertion, Nikola had only one stint at Kiel, from 2005 to 2009. During this period he played alongside Dominik Klein who was part of Germany's world championship winning team in 2007.  Only Nikola Karabatic briefly played for FC Barcelona Intersport. They appeared to have a good time in Berlin, the former as a TV pundit and the latter as a 'joker' player.


From the United Kingdom you are subject to a lot of geo-localisation restrictions if you wish to watch live handball whereas handball is not the most popular sport. My outcry for the DHB Bundesliga remains intact. A beer, a bretzel, Handball Woche and a biased public who can applaud a great goal from the opposition or a great decision by the referees.

There is a bit of a carnaval atmosphere !



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Imbroglio

Germany 2019 - Day XV Semi day, Semi poetry

Honest outcome on life with Arsenal's 40/60