EHF 2022 - Day XVII All Star choices and refs not always in control

 

Final day Sunday 30 January 2022

Bronze medal match 14h30 GMT

DENMARK - FRANCE

Gold medal Final 17h GMT

SPAIN - SWEDEN

On a day where I should be in Budapest instead of sunny (yes sunny!) London, I try to re-visit my choices made on Friday for the all-star contest

Goalkeeper

Vincent Gerard, France
Viktor Hallgrímsson, Iceland
Victor Kireev, Russia
Kevin Møller, Denmark
Gonzalo Perez de Vargas, Spain
Nebojsa Simic, Montenegro

It is a difficult one because three out of the six listed were out of this world on many occasions. I am going for Gonzalo.

Left wing

Sebastian Barthold, Norway
Bjarki Mar Elisson, Iceland
Angel Fernandez, Spain
Emil Jakobsen, Denmark
Milos Vujovic, Montenegro
Hampus Wanne, Sweden

This one is a tricky one because three of them already perform so well at the European club competition level and this would influence abnormally the decision. I went for Wanne.

Left back

Agustín Casado, Spain
Mikkel Hansen, Denmark
Sergei Mark Kosorotov, Russia
Julian Köster, Germany
Tin Lucin, Croatia
Szymon Sicko, Poland

I really enjoyed the sparkles from Koster so on this one. It was an easy choice.

Centre back

Jim Gottfridsson, Sweden
Kentin Mahe, France
Sander Sagosen, Norway
Luc Steins, Netherlands
Philipp Weber, Germany
Dmitry Zhitnikov, Russia

He thrives in the Moly DHL and he excelled again like in Egypt last year. No hesitation. Jim of course.

Right back

Mathias Gidsel, Denmark
Ómar Ingi Magnusson, Iceland
Ivan Martinovic, Croatia
Dika Mem, France
Harald Reinkind, Norway
Kay Smits, Netherlands

Gidsel has an awesome percentage but for me Magnusson was epitomising what Iceland meant to the tournament and I am glad Iceland are back beating comprehensively France for example

Right wing

Kristian Björnsen, Norway
Valter Chrintz, Sweden
Ivan Cupic, Croatia
Aleix Gómez, Spain
Sigvaldi Gudjonsson, Iceland
Arkadiusz Moryto, Poland

I went for the percentage on this quandary. I know fans love a good drink and play on words. Moryto for me.

Line player

Samir Benghanem, Netherlands
Adrian Figueras, Spain
Johannes Golla, Germany
Marino Maric, Croatia
Magnus Saugstrup, Denmark
Nicolas Tournat, France

I sincerely cannot remember who I picked. Shall I be influenced by the personality? Shall I be influenced by previous outings? I have to say Samir impressed me.

Best defender

Pavel Andreev, Russia
Oscar Bergendahl, Sweden
Ýmir Gíslason, Iceland
Gedeon Guardiola, Spain
Simon Hald Jensen, Denmark
Karl Konan, France

This time I am tempted to go for the personal side of things.WELL DONE GG!


As for the choice of refs, with all due respect towards the EHF Competitions committee I see objectively a clear bias and not necessarily the right appointments based on the respective performance of the referees at this tournament. This is an area which infuriates the fans.  

For example I am against the 7-6 whether the players are 'sin-binned' or not. The video assisting was used and the conclusion made by the refs was still wrong on various occasions. I hate the clock not being stopped during the 7-meters during the vast majority of the matches . The rules wording should impose that the clock be stopped whether there was a sanction of any sort . There was a lot of play acting and experienced refs got coined far too easily and that's the football influence. The passive play rule was not equallly enforced and the panel should see that lack of control in proceedings.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Imbroglio

Germany 2019 - Day XV Semi day, Semi poetry

Honest outcome on life with Arsenal's 40/60