NORWAY / AUSTRIA / SWEDEN EHF 2020 Day Two - Very sad indeed


Chapter A) Lunchtime History and Poetry


All the friends from previous trips are getting prepared as a mixture of rain and snow gather pace in this Norwegian city. It would have been my first visit to Norway.

We are a minority still at home, penalised between the love for compliance and the love for handball.

I know, I mean we know that both are compatible but you have to learn it the hard way and I have to say this is something I struggle with.

I am emotional and passionate. I saw the progression from the Group B, the Mediterranean games to the double Olympics champions (that treble miss still hurts as the 2007 goal incident).

But all things being equal I saw it as a fan, so young that I was playing as well at a very very average level but I was lucky to pick on the right channels when handball was not a big thing or as in the public eye. I had no money and never thought that I could travel to follow my teams. I took school too seriously and yet I did not have amazing marks. I even lost my summary of exploits. When the gentleman who played in the 1970s and his wife befriend, when close friends from Greg Anquetil, when you get told stories from the world championship in Portugal. When is it a poetry frenzy?

France lost in Portugal for the first time in over twenty years or so Today cannot be taken lightly.

I feel so lonely but I have to say that the coverage via EHF TV saves me in terms of grief. The attention span last night meant the coming weeks should be challenging.







Chapter B) 17.15 GMT   France - Portugal


First Half

I AM SO HAPPY TO SEE THE AMATE FAMILY and THE MAUGER FAMILY and our friend from Normandy HELEN

HUGE GRIN as I turn on my EHF TV screen

Gros plan sur notre couple aixois favori
I am singing the Marseillaise anthem on my own by the bus stop in the middle of posh Richmond....And I had no drinks as of yet....

J’avais imaginé plus 3 mais pour la France mais ce sera l’opposé qui se déroulera.

Je n’ose imaginer combien furieux Mr Mauger doit être.

Et au moment des hymnes nous voyons les élégants Cathy et Phil. So bloody jealous…..

We are under the impression that there are only seven French supporters

QUINTANA VS GERARD, the battle that never was?

Dika scores but his attacking foul is not that obvious. Magnificent Lucho pass in the middle.

It is odd to see so few photographers. Maybe because restrictions apply and Germany not playing

Only 2-0 after 4 minutes. Even 2-1 on 4 minutes and 20 seconds. Romain jumps to make it 3-1.

Superb goal by Portuguese no. 23 so that it is 3-2 after 6 minutes

I am focusing on one match at a time on both sessions.

When three games are on, I would need to be in the Granollers media sphere.

From his own half DIKA scores into the empty net from long range: 4-2 on 8 minutes

SILVA, wearing jersey 14 and classy glasses shoots with accuracy. Which means scoreline of 4-3.

At the moment it is Friday’s traffic on the 33 bus after the guarantee reading fun

But where is Fabrice?

The game has no intensity; very worrying indeed.

We are still in Surrey and my glasses are in trouble. Very dirty like my language very shortly.

It is 6-4 on 11 minutes.

Ferraz fit table rase!

Indeed the 5-men defence unsettles France.

Vincent Gerard is missing his interception and 6-5 on 13 minutes.

Bad sequence in the attack and shooting too quickly.

Valou comes in but it does not materialise in anything at the minute.

7-5 on 15 minutes, 8-7 on 17 minutes and yellow card for NK. What a space. Bad joke.

Prandi comes in. GO USAM. As the score is 9-8 on 19 minutes, he misses his attempt within seconds of coming on.

More rhythm please.

ALLEZ LES BLEUS. Bruno shouts on the timely and almost empty South West train. In a very quiet Arena. I am using the 4G from my phone but I hardly hear the fans.

Gerard missed again the interception and it is now 9-9 all square

Obvious change. GENTY on.

Evelyne looks very thoughtful and very sad on 22 minutes.

BRANQUINHOS, short of play one words is on fire as Portugal gets into the lead 9-10 on 23 minutes.

France are very poor and the image gets also very blurry as we approach Clapham Junction.

Smuggle into the post means deficit by two suffered by France.

It gets even worse 9-12 on 27 minutes. And I am annoyed because ticket inspectors are invading our personals pace for the second time this week. And they have the police with them. They were not there when the strike was ON. Bloody expensive South West trains.

Cathy is not happy and meagre claps by Phil. It is 10-12 with 30 seconds lefts on the clock

With 4s left Karabatic on the counter makes it 11-12

Supporters and Bruno are not as smiley.



A telling stat 44% shooting accuracy.

23, like BRANQUINHOS’s jersey number and as many goals.

I am annoyed. There is no game plan, no creativity.

It is half time in Clapham Junction.

I have just over 15 GBP with me.

I shouted what about your f** strikes and bloody fare increases. Careful but I was so much into the game.

Their own demise because Portuguese keeper hardly made a save.

For some reason VG out completely; maybe due to his Number 1 status?


Second Half

I said to PW how fun her legal notice guidance were just over an hour ago.

Two stations and it takes ages. So frustrating.

And the video replays get stuck as we approached Balham station.

And I feared I had been charged so I had to check by the tube automated ticket section.

I see Marie Claire briefly. No one looks really happy. Sad spectrum.

Telling sports complex name

Melvin makes it 12-12

I have no space for my PC at a fairly hectic Firefly

Ferraz still on-song. Annoying play on words. As scoreline gets to 12-13 (33 minutes) then Portela makes it to 12-14 (34 minutes) adding to the pain.

I laughed as I saw Malou on 34 minutes.

Ludo Fabregas gets his luck making it 14-14 on 36 minutes.

But Ferraz continues his poisonous mission: 14 -15.

Quick fore and only number two for Melvin seconds later: 15-15

Fabrice moves his head in disgust and disbelief upon France’s 16th goal.

The sports complex seems to suffer from bad lighting.

On 39 minutes 3rd goal by MELVIN and 17-16 for France now.

Low shot dispatched by Genty.

I find the tournament mascot very ugly this time around.

O MY GOD they changed their main WIFI password at the FIREFLY and between minute 40 and minute 43 the link does not work and the ad takes age to stop.

I am shouting out of anger and I almost finished my PAULANER now.

Evelyne and Fabrice are sat next to each other and are not very happy and we have full sympathy. It is 18-19 on 43 minutes.

HURRY UP

Sh**t QUINTANA scores from long range into the empty net as Genty was slow to get into his area making it 18-20 with fifteen minutes left on the clock.

Careful they are having an opportunity to be 3 up. OMG.

Genty saves it but it reaches a throw-in.

MIKA reacts quickly and it is now down to one 19-20 on 47 minutes.

Nobody is enjoying the play on word after Salina scores Portugal’s number 21

Cathy looks dejected and we understand why on 47 minutes.

Can it get worse? Yes, it is now 19-22!!!

And… on a very bad Day MIKA from USAM misses a very telling frail penalty.

And we can see a tearful Mr Mauger.

WORRYING. SCARY. THOROUGHLY SAD

Romain LAGARDE dives in to seek some reprieve [20-22 on 50’40]

France catches up benefiting from the additional player as MIKA does score towards the empty goal but unfortunately the scoreline remains at 21-22 on 51’30.

Good save by Genty and Ludo Fabregas brings a bit of hope. COME ON FRANCE.

22-22 on 52’22

Time-out for Portugal.

Stupid goal conceded on the wing 22-23

We need to step it up and use well the numerical advantage.

Nedim rallies for 23-23 on 53 minutes 40 seconds.

The referees are not raising their hands and Portugal can lead 23-24.

Whilst getting back to 24-24, suddenly the implosion occurs as the passive play is not given and the Portuguese player gets his team ahead 24-25.

Les than 4 minutes left. URGENCY please.

Romain surges and it is now 25-25

GOOD DEFENCE and EFFECTIVE SHOOTING is key. Wishful but far from real today unfortunately. A very sorry day in the office.

Get up dirty cheat is what I said to the Portuguese line player.

Again, the passive play is not given when they clearly wasted a lot of time and with less than 3 minutes on the clock left it is now 25-26.

Panicky handball kicks in to the disgust of Miss Mauger on 57 minutes. Time flies when things are not going well.

On 58 minutes and 22 second a costly double suspension to France. We say HI briefly to Malou.

It is now 25-27 with one minute left.

To make matters worse the players did not turn up and we lost by three against Portugal as the clock reads 59’22. We did not deserve anything from that game but losing by three hurts.

What a nightmare. What a shameful result. Must win against Norway and hope for a huge turnaround. Unlikely to qualify for the main round?

I am so furious that I left angrily the Firefly and picked up dodgy food at Sainsbury to calm me down.



Chapter C) 19.30 GMT   Norway - Bosnia






First Half

Bosnia leading by 1 after 2 minutes, leading by 2 after 4.30

But already 2-2 on 6 minutes

Norwegian fans whistling

Bergerud avoids under a suspension the 4-2 deficit by rushing to the ball but did not have a good match overall

Sagosen gets its reward making it 3-3 on 8.30 minutes. A good omen for him as he will MVP.

How come Kara plays for Bosnia

On 11.30 minutes it is suddenly 6-4 for Norway

The rampage has started

8-5 on 14 mins

FLENSBURG battle of keepers did not materialise.

Interesting recovery by Bosnia pulling back two goals in the space of 30 seconds, making it 8-7

Paul Bray is back on commentary duties

9-9 on 18 minutes

Six nil defence for Norway

Extra speed for Norway with a sucker punch by a 2-goal lead after 22 minutes

Great save by Bosnian keeper but no success in the attack

Annoying 3-goal lead 13-10 on 26 minutes

With half a minute left and it is 16-11 to Norway.

Has the whole ball crossed the line? It’s a goal! 17-12



Second Half

19-13 on 35 minutes. Norway cruising as expected.

Good save by Buric but defender does not react quickly

Long-range bullet proof shoot with a huge scoreline as it is now 21-14 on 38 minutes

41 minutes and 22-15 for Norway.

Sagosen has scored almost half of Norway’s goals.

With fifteen minutes left it reads 25-17

Bizarre two minutes favouring Norway

Great goal by Panic but cheerful Norwegian as they keep Bosnia at bay with a 8-goal lead with 8 minutes left.

Now 12 goals by Sagosen after 54 minutes being played.

The match is not exciting and Norway stayed focused as the scoreline reads 31-23 on 56.15 minutes

EASY win in the end for Norway as the scoreline reads 32-26.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Imbroglio

Germany 2019 - Day XV Semi day, Semi poetry

Honest outcome on life with Arsenal's 40/60