Germany 2019 - Day IV Hello Munich

Hello Munich ! I love you ! So many fond memories.

Was the first to go through security at the Berlin terminal. Would have liked to get a beer or a soft drink but did not fancy the risk of a loo visit whilst on-board. The cabin crew lady who served me brightened my day. She was diligent, friendly and very pretty. We landed in good time in Munich but we were requested to board the the terminal shuttle which brought us back to Terminal 1 but I got lost en route to the S-Bahn. The outside transit from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 is very messy and confusing and my visual memory got in trouble. Decided not to stop at the hotel, which turned out to be a good idea. Also went looking for the DB desk and the lady there was fairly ruthless and a bit rude. It is a pity I had to pay the airport zone day travelcard since transportation within the inner city was free of charge for accreditation holders. I asked the train inspector whether I should board the S8 but I had to board the S1 instead. We waited up to ten minutes for the train to depart. Then it stopped for a good ten minutes after a couple of minutes just yards away from the airport maintenance hub. Frustration was building up. I was glad we had a very tiny breakfast on the plane. At Moosach, I had to walk on the snow and get downstairs in order to catch the U3 for Olympia Zentrum. Obviously on a Sunday morning you have a reduced service. However I was surprised to see such a luxurious and spacious rolling stock. In the evening I would be sat on the old fashioned one. The same one I would take so many times back in the early 2000s and when Arsenal played Bayern under snowy conditions at the Olympic Stadium.

It was a mad rush. Still amazed by the cats and dogs weather conditions upon exiting the U3 Olympiapark station. Where is the media entrance for god's sake?

I lost all the initial comments I had made earlier as I was making the most of an early attendance to the media center. The organisation was so different from that of Berlin. Everything was much smaller. Following the very wet arrival at the Olympiapark premises, I stopped initially at the catering room used by the media. I did not like the butter inside the bretzel. I did enjoy the apple juice and the pastries. We were like sardines in this little room and the atmosphere was very relaxed.
The wifi restrictions were greater than those in Berlin. f I wanted I could have gone to the press conferences. I felt as if I was in transit. I saw the notice about photographers losing potentially their license so I was really prudent.

Thoroughly enjoyed the first half of an entertaining match between Macedonia and Bahrain. I met a new photographer who was very friendly and helped me sit in front of the net, despite the risk of having the license revoked.

That is why on game 2 I stayed behind the net during the first half. I moved to my match ticket position at the start of the second half.

Then on game 3 I switched to the fan attitude in order to avoid any issues. I would change shirts. I would use the Spanish flag offered by Marlene in Poland. Aitor  and Joan were very friendly with the fans after the match.

Macedonia vs Bahrain

This game surprised me because Bahrain did make a good account of themselves as it was the case the day before against Spain if I remembered correctly. This is the day when I realized that one could look into the small screen control in order to capture the action much quicker. Maybe my expectations were exceeded and I got carried away.
In addition, felt that this game was not getting the coverage it deserved. The Macedonia photographer next to me had his Macedonia cap and he did not get in any trouble whatsoever.




The atmosphere was fairly gentle and you could see pockets of Macedonia fans on the upper sections



Croatia vs Japan

The Japanese players carefully listened to the experienced European assistant manager. The atmosphere was very relaxed and a good mood was exemplified by this smiley goalkeeper


Croatian players are also getting ready



In front of me in the second half, in my spectators position, I had two huge Croatia fans wearing the famous water polo hat. Obviously in the first half I forced myself to stay behind the net and as a result the quality of my pictures was impaired. I was also hesitant in getting back to the media room where it was quickly very congested.

Strlek had a convincing 80% shot ratio (4 out of 5) against Japan.


There was no real contest as the gulf in class was so evident. Vrankovic, Mandic and Stepancic managed to get a good conversion ratio whilst using a diversity of angles in their shots.
.

Bicanic may have a go 



Spain vs Iceland

Iceland were highly motivated for this match


Spain were slightly favoured by the referees to the ire of local fans but all in all it was a deserved victory.

Passive play was quickly given to the Icelandic attacks whereas Spanish players could hold the ball for much longer. And this impression stems from a Spanish handball fan. Honesty is the best policy !


I got noticed and received a couple of applause when I mumbled the Spanish anthem on my own wearing my Spanish glasses.


At the start of their training, Guardiola waved at me from the distance ! After the match, Joan spoke to me in French as my Spanish was a bit rusty. He nonetheless acknowledged the beautiful picture from Qatar I gave him. Actually had many other pictures for him in my bag but I could not hijack his time with the other supporters. I did congratulate Aitor for his match but could not get the time to make an astute reference to his impressive display at the 2013 championships in Madrid, Zaragoza and Barcelona.

Your reporter looks a bit overweight on this picture with Aitor !



The following picture is fairly amusing because the ball went through and yet the Icelandic defenders manage to unsettle the Spanish attack.


Daniel Sarmiento struggles to go through and Julén is waiting 





Despite the generous Icelandic defense made up of the 'sandwich strategy',







Our maestro Joan Cañellas led the way as he delivered his instructions and scored a couple of beautiful goals.




Jordi Ribera's defensive strategy to curtail / impede the Icelandic options is working as Iceland tries to reduce the deficit



The tournament's second top scorer in action after Mr Hansen, Sole, who became one of Spain's most effective player ever at a world championship !


Spanish team accolade


Once I had spoken to the players I was forced to tidy my bag and it was high time I commuted back to the airport whilst the Icelandic fans were playing some fun music upon boarding the U3 back to the city center.

It was a very long day. And I had a lot of fun until I got completely soaked at the airport. Also got my shoes very dirty when I tried to walk next to the ring road outside the terminals.  Could not find the Munich Airport Moxy shuttle stop neither at Terminal 1 nor  at Terminal 2. When I phoned the hotel they would not answer immediately, they were telling me incorrect information and I was getting really worked up whereas I should have remained calm. I was getting really tired. In the meantime I had eaten some sweet things on the train purchased at the vending machine in a very windy Moosach platform. One cab driver got in trouble for turning me down. After a while I was forced to change terminals and I caught the first taxi hoping for a reasonable fare and, whilst on board, checking whether the travel towards Moxy was a walking distance from the airport terminal.

I checked in at the hotel and paid the stay fee immediately and chose a fairly late shuttle time considering that it was a Monday morning. Could not sleep at all in this room. I got really worried when I saw the RAW images but managed to set up the relevant Canon software. It was actually a very sad experience. I woke up very early so that I could get my breakfast before catching the shuttle. I found the hotel very sordid and so far from the airport. Hence my negative review weeks later. The security lanes were very long but in the end I managed to go through the different requests from the security staff. A safe journey back to Berlin. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Imbroglio

Germany 2019 - Day XV Semi day, Semi poetry

Honest outcome on life with Arsenal's 40/60